Before meeting with a health professional it’s normal to feel stressed or anxious. Here are some questions your doctor or therapist might ask you.
- How long have you been feeling depressed?
- When did your friends and your family notice your depression?
- Do you have other family members with mental illnesses?
- Do you feel that your mood varies a lot, that you are very happy and then very sad?
- Are you having issues interacting with others due to your feeling depressed?
- Do you think of suicide when you feel sad?
- Is it harder to do things when you’re feeling depressed?
- Do you think that feeling depressed has impacted you physically?
- Is there anything that helps you get better, or makes things worse?
- Do you consume alcohol or drugs?
- Do you sleep more than before, or less?
Take the time to prepare a list of questions that you might want to ask
- Do I need to take some tests?
- What treatment would be best for me?
- What are the side effects?
- How can I deal with my symptoms?
- Are there things I need to avoid?
Lastly, in order to help remain calm and to remember the doctor’s advice, bring someone for support.